Lazy summer days means trying to find something fun and perhaps not so educational to do for the kids. Here’s something that will occupy the kids’ time and while may appear (to them) to be a total time suck, it will teach fine motor skills, ingenuity and possibly collaborative play.
- Create a triangle with the skewers. Join the ends with one of the large marshmallows to design a large triangle.
- Add a pyramid to your triangle. With the triangle laying on a flat surface, build a pyramid above the triangle.<
- Create your catapult launcher. Tape the plastic spoon handle to the end of another skewer. Wrap the tape around the spoon several times to secure tightly (this spoon will see a lot of action).
- Place the thin rubber band around the top marshmallow. Lay the rubber band over the marshmallow that has topped the pyramid. Allow the band to just lay there.
- Slide spoon skewer through the rubber band so that it is being supported by the rubber band. Pierce the end of it on the marshmallow at the base.
- Use mini marshmallows as your “launching rocks.” You can also use other small candies or items–anything that will fit inside the spoon. Hold the base as you pull the spoon back gently against the tension of the band.
Things You’ll Need
- 4 large marshmallows
- 7 wooden skewers
- 1 thin rubber band
- Plastic spoon
- Masking tape
- Allow catapult to sit for one day to make it more sturdy.
- Snip off the skewer’s pointed ends for added safety (especially for younger kids).
- Create a target near the catapult using masking tape.
Sources and Citations
Via:: Wiki how